August 10, 2015
Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography
Growing up in a household where books were considered essentials, my mother’s main issue was prying most of us from reading to do the usual cleaning, cooking or gardening chores. While a Barbie doll was considered a much-loved (and envied) staple of my generation’s toy chest, I didn’t get my very first Barbie until I was 18 (don’t ask). What I remember is saving my allowance to buy Enid Blyton’s paperback series such as the Famous Five, the Secret Seven, The Twins at St. Clare’s and Malory Towers for less than P10.00 each at the time. We were also lucky to have a cousin who loved Nancy Drew, and was generous enough to lend us copies from her collection. Apart from Enid Blyton, I also enjoyed a paperback series called Choose Your Own Adventure. It has been decades since I last laid eyes on the distinctive covers, and when I heard that Random House was publishing Neil Patrick Harris’ autobiography in this format, I thought I knew what to expect.
So who has NOT heard of Neil Patrick Harris? He was everyone’s favorite child genius slash doctor, thanks to the top-rating Doogie Howser MD series that ran from 1989 to 1993. Most recently seen on the hit television show How I Met Your Mother, he counts not just actor, but writer, producer, director, magician and singer as his many accomplishments. He has been tapped to host the Emmy and Academy awards show in Hollywood, and the Tony Awards in Broadway. This year, he capped an already glowing resume by winning a Tony for Best Actor playing the lead role in Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
After reading his (impressively) long Wikipedia entry, one may ask what else is there to know about Neil Patrick Harris? The answer is a LOT. The novelty is that, depending on your choices, he may find fame fortune and true love in a few chapters. Choose incorrectly and he lives a life of misery, heartbreak and suffers an ignominious death by piranhas. If the holiday stress gets to you and you find yourself needing a laugh, go ahead and read this book. You’ll have a few chuckles and maybe even laugh out aloud by your lonesome, causing your weird Uncle Al to finally leave you alone.
Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography is on sale October 13, 2014. Available in local book stores.
Penguin Random House is the world’s first truly global trade book publisher. It was formed on July 1, 2013, upon the completion of an agreement between Bertelsmann and Pearson. Penguin Random House employs more than 10,000 people globally across almost 250 editorially and creatively independent imprints and publishing houses that collectively publish more than 15,000 new titles annually. Its publishing lists include more than 70 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.