April 13, 2015
Love, Lashes and Lipstick by Mally Roncal
Where to begin? I first heard of Mally Roncal several years ago when her eponymously-named makeup line debuted in Henri Bendel and on QVC. When someone names their product “Bullet Proof Mascara”, you take notice. Because let’s face it, most makeup is easily laid to waste with humidity in the tropics. And when the founder is a true-blue Filipino and is proud of the fact, it’s basically time for the cows to come home. No contest, the lady is a winner. She is more Filipino at heart than most people I know. Who names their dogs Bingka and Bantay?! I became a fan without laying a hand on a single Mally Beauty product.
Bold-faced celebrity clients aside (Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Angelina Jolie and Taylor Swift being some of them), there is so much more to Mally Roncal than her highly successful makeup line. Full disclosure: I had read the manuscript months ago and thought the finished book couldn’t come out fast enough. One great tip I picked up: do not to wash your face in the morning. Mally advocates splashing with warm water before putting on skincare and makeup products instead. After doing this for several months, I am impressed with how calm my skin has been. Breakouts certainly became less frequent.
While the book is full of makeup and beauty tips, Mally also shares personal stories about growing up Filipino in what looks to be 1980s America. Bullied as a child, she turned around and overcame the trauma by keeping her mother’s advice close to her heart: “what people need to know is that what makes you different makes you beautiful”. This, together with many other inspiring mantras, makes the book a real gem.
While we can wait for Mally Beauty products to hit Philippine shores, there’s LOVE, LASHES AND LIPSTICK to enjoy in the meantime.
LOVE, LASHES AND LIPSTICK is available in bookstores.
Penguin Random House is the world’s first truly global trade book publisher. It was formed on July 1, 2013, upon the completion of an agreement between Bertelsmann and Pearson. Penguin Random House employs more than 10,000 people globally across almost 250 editorially and creatively independent imprints and publishing houses that collectively publish more than 15,000 new titles annually. Its publishing lists include more than 70 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.