March 30, 2015
Girl Talk: An Illustrated Guide by Christie Young
Quick fact: the Philippines is considered to be a very good market for self-help books, especially in mass market format (a.k.a “pocket books”). Some may find the term “self-help” loathsome or patronizing but guidebooks on how to live a better life have incredibly long life spans here. Consider how a couple of titles How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (circa 1948) and How to Enjoy Life and Your Job (circa 1970) by Dale Carnegie have been continuously selling for decades in our bookstores. On the pop culture front, no self-respecting bookstore will be caught dead without the modern-day classics: Why Men Love Bitches and its equally successful installment Why Men Marry Bitches. I must confess to eventually breaking down and getting a copy of the former for myself after seeing yet another four-digit order for the nth time. But that is a story for another time and place, as I’m moving to yet one more self-improvement tome: GIRL TALK, subtitled UNSOLICITED ADVICE FOR MODERN LADIES by Christie Young.
Christie Young is an illustrator/ web designer whose works have appeared in cool publications like Nylon and Good (A Magazine for the Global Citizen). I figured an illustrated guidebook will be fun, which is what it turned out to be. GIRL TALK is being touted to target media-savvy, whiskey-swilling Millennials who shop at indie stores. I guess this is the reason why the book doesn’t have a table of contents and simply flows from one chapter to the next: Talk of the Town dispenses advice about moving to new places and making a home for yourself; Body Talk includes health, fashion and tattooing advice; Family and Friends includes thoughts on acquiring pets; Love Line has a funny section on decoding the subtexts of his texts; and a final chapter called Talk it Out, which is a free-for all and addresses all kinds of crazy fears, including having small fish swim up your butt at the beach and eating, drinking, and going to the movies alone.
Girl Talk (Unsolicited Advice for Modern Ladies) An Illustrated Guide is on sale August 26, 2014. Now available in selected bookstores.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.