March 13, 2016
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan
The crazy-rich Teos, Youngs, Leongs and Wus of Asia are back in their gilded glory! Has it really been two years since Kevin Kwan’s sizzling CRAZY RICH ASIANS hit the bookstores? Forget about reading the society pages for the shenanigans of Asia’s rich and famous. Read the first book for an introduction to the fictional billionaire Asian families and their friends who hoard houses, fast cars, private islands and boats the way some people collect match boxes. These are the seriously rich who do not only get front row seats at the Paris Fashion Week, but actually wear the haute couture frocks a few seasons early. And, fly in the Vienna Boys’ Choir to grace a wedding—in private.
The first book revolves around Nicholas Young (crown prince of the Singapore Young business dynasty) who brings his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend Rachel Chu to what is deemed to be the glitziest society wedding of the year in Singapore. Rachel has no idea of Nick’s wealthy background, while Nick appears not to be in hurry to disclose the fact. Once in Singapore, Nick’s family (specifically his mother), threatens to disown him if he chooses to marry a girl of Rachel’s background, which in their circle is looked down for being “ordinary”. Rachel’s father had upped and left the family when she was a baby, and was now presumed dead. Such matters only served to worsen her standing. The book ends with the young lovers reconciling after discovering that Nick’s mother was behind the devious machinations designed to tear them apart.
CHINA RICH GIRLFRIEND picks up the story at a time when Rachel and Nick are about to get married in the US, minus the blessings of Nick’s parents. Don’t count on Kevin Kwan to run out of intrigue and drama yet. Rachel discovers that not only is her real father alive, he also happens to be *****! I will spare readers potential spoilers, and will instead say that just when you think these rich Asians can’t get any more crazy, they go and outdo themselves. Think an apartment elevator for a McLaren F1, bidding US$195 million dollars for rare scrolls last seen in 1860, and so much more. As the author says, there’s Asia rich, then there’s CHINA RICH.
Readers will get a kick reading about Filipino socialite “Evangeline de Ayala” who gets kicked out for inviting Mrs. Bernard Tai (aka Kitty Pong, former actress) to lunch in Hong Kong’s most exclusive private club. And if you had all the money in the world, what would you buy? Check out the author’s online exhibition at http://www.crazyrichcollection.com/.
China Rich Girlfriend is available in paperback edition, on sale June 16, 2015.
Penguin Random House is the world’s first truly global trade book publisher. It was formed on July 1, 2013, upon the completion of an agreement between Bertelsmann and Pearson. Penguin Random House employs more than 10,000 people globally across almost 250 editorially and creatively independent imprints and publishing houses that collectively publish more than 15,000 new titles annually. Its publishing lists include more than 70 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.