September 16, 2016
Roald Dahl Tribute
Our creative writing center, Where the Write Things Are, celebrated Roald Dahl’s 100th birthday last week at Fully Booked’s Dahlighful Weekend event (and we also celebrated our writing center’s 3rd birthday!!!).
One of the writing activities for the young Roald Dahl fans was to write a tribute to Roald Dahl and even share their tribute beside our little Roald Dahl shrine. I’m featuring the tribute to Roald Dahl by two young writers of Where the Write Things Are.
by Zachary, 11 years old
September 13 has come and gone
but thoughts of it still linger.
Here we are on the 100th Birthday of Roald Dahl.
For us, we know of what he made
we know of what he’s done
and we know of what has gone.
We will all remember you Roald Dahl,
we will always be your number 1
and not your number 2.
We will always read your books
and won’t make any clue on what you will write.
My dear Roald Dahl,
we thank you for what you’ve made,
we thank for what has gone…
For people who had loved you,
for people who had known you,
and for people who remember their dear Roald Dahl.
We’ll never forget you like what we have said
we’ll always remember what Roald Dahl made.
Dear Roald Dahl,
An amazing amalgamation made at wonder and delight
Books read from the lovely day until the daunting night.
Whether it be of chocolate or at witch turned mice,
Or at a bookish child dealing with her family’s vice.
A marvelous medicine made out of liquids and pills,
To a giant’s land, far beyond the emerald hills.
From the whimsical and wondrous wiz popping way
That we enjoy these tales from before today.
When I was a child and quite a saint at that,
I’ve always liked to read, whether it be about bugs or cats.
But what struck me deep down was the fun I’ve had.
When I read what you wrote and saw what they said.
Now barely an adult, with a new found sight.
I still like to think of those stories at night.
So here is my thanks, for all that you’ve writ.
And for unlocking the magic of imagination and wit.
-Asly, 17 years old
Where the Write Things Are is a creative writing center for kids, teens, and adults. If you love writing or need some inspiration to get to write, our writing studio is the place to be. Check out our monthly classes at writethings.wix.com/writethings and facebook.com/writethingsph.
- Creative Writing Class for Kids and Teens: Young Writers’ Hangout on October 1 and October 22 (1:30pm-3pm).
- Creative Writing for Adults: Fiction Writing with Menchu A. Sarmiento on October 8 (1:30pm-5:30pm).
Venue is at Fully Booked Bonifacio High Street. For more information and fee details, email email@example.com
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.