December 7, 2013
The First-Ever ManilaSpeak Authors Night
It was a night of thanksgiving and introduction as we at ManilaSpeak held our first ever Authors Night last November 27, 2013. The merry mingling saw established opinion makers and up-and-comers pooled together in one amazing gathering.
Gracing us with both their presence and insightful discussion during the event were the luminaries of ManilaSpeak’s Commentary section: former Department of Budget and Management Secretary Dr. Benjamin Diokno (Economic Understanding), PMPC Star Awards for Television Excellence in Broadcasting Awardee Rey Langit (Inyong Kasangga), Executive Director for the Ministry on Ecology of the Archdiocese of Manila Fr. Benny Tuazon (Nurture our World, NOW), Intellectual Property and Technology Law expert Atty. Rod Vera (The Sweat of the Brow), Executive Vice President of Camp John Hay Development Corporation Al Yniguez (Pine Notes). The event even drew a few distinguished passers-by in, namely famed political scientist and academician Alex Magno.
Not to be outdone, the authors from the lifestyle section (or in ManilaSpeak lingo: Cool) also marked the night with their thought-provoking dinner table conversation on the future of all things lifestyle. The Cool crowd that night included T.I. Vasquez Architects and Planners, Inc. Vice President for Standards and Managing Director for Cebu Ar. Toni Vasquez (ArchiTEXTure), super shopper Goldee Salcedo a.k.a. Goldee Luxe (Thrifty Thursdays and Splurge Sundays), tech aficionado Nico Garcia (Tech Tuesdays), recipe master Louise Hagedorn (Food Under Pressure) and literature professor Ma. Helena Reginaldo (Notes from a Stylophile).
Also present were featured artists and writers in our Close Up section: Jerald Dorado, Everywhere We Shoot (Ryan and Pia Vergara), Shaira Luna, and Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature Hall of Famer Krip Yuson.
Dinner was an event of its own as our bellies were filled with a sumptuous dinner prepared by Chef Jessie Sincioco at the Rockwell Club.
We were also fortunate enough to be able to give back to the people behind the artistic and thought-provoking posts at ManilaSpeak.com. Each author was given a bound compilation of their works and a mug with their very own cartoonized faces printed on them. The amazing drawings were a product of the talented hands of our site administrator and graphic artist Rica Palomo-Espiritu.
The night ended on a high note as we celebrated our fourth month of existence and wished for more months and years of bringing both commentary and cool to every Filipino. We thank you and promise you that there will indeed be more wonderful posts heading your way. But for now, from the ManilaSpeak Team to all of you: Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Photo credit: Rica Palomo-Espiritu and Billie Beltran
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.