July 9, 2016
Writers on Writing
I recently saw an article about 21 inspirations quotations from novelists and I thought of my own favorites lines. I also asked the favorite lines of the other owners of our creative writing center, Where the Write Things Are.
Words from my favorite writer:
Being a writer means taking the leap from listening to saying, “Listen to me.”
Favorite lines of Where the Write Things Are’s, Teacher Roel Cruz:
Don’t be dull and boring and pretentious, don’t be consumed by self-love.
The libraries of the world have yawned themselves to sleep over your kind.
Don’t add to that.
—Charles Bukowski (from the poem, So You Want to be a Writer)
Favorite quotes from the Director of Where the Write Things Are, Neni Sta. Romana Cruz
Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a black sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.
The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair. —Mary Heaton Vorse
More lines from writers:
There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they’ll take you.
Prose is architecture, not interior decorations. —Ernest Hemingway
Nothing teaches you as much about writing dialogue as listening to it.
I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose.
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet’s pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
—William Shakespeare (from A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
A word is dead
When it is said,
I say it just begins
to live that day.
I can shake off everything as I write; My sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn. —Anne Frank
Begin with an individual, and before you know it you have created a type; begin with a type, and you find you have created—nothing.
—F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sources: writersunplugged.com, writersdigest.com, writersrelief.com, brainyquote.com, Buzzfeed and Pinterest
Where the Write Things Are is a creative writing center for kids, teens and adults. If you love writing or need some inspiration to get to write, our writing studio is the place to be. Check out our monthly classes at writethings.wix.com/writethings and facebook.com/writethingsph.
Creative Writing Class for Kids and Teens: Comic Book Jammin’ with JC Panlilio on July 23 (1:30pm-3pm). Young Writers’ Hangout on August 6 and 20 (1:30pm-3pm).
Creative Writing for Adults: Feature Writing with Jo-Ann Maglipon on August 13 (1:30pm-5:30pm).
Venue is at Fully Booked Bonifacio High Street. For more information and fee details, email email@example.com.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.