January 10, 2015
Tanghalang Pilipino’s 28th Season Closes with Filipino Adaptation of “Dangerous Liaisons”
This article was written by Elmer Gatchalian for Tanghalang Pilipino:
Pierre Choderlos de Laclos classic 18th century epistolary novel, “Les Liaisons Dangereuses”, has inspired a number of screen and stage adaptations, most popular of which is the Stephen Frears movie, “Dangerous Liaisons” (1988), starring Oscar nominees Glenn Close and John Malkovich.
Now, Tanghalang Pilipino (TP) has chosen to close its 28th season with a new adaptation of the French novel, starring some of the country’s most notable performers not only from the stage but from television and movies as well.
Written by award-winning playwright Elmer Gatchalian and directed by TP Associate Artistic Director Tuxqs Rutaquio, this adaptation, entitled “Juego de Peligro”, transports the story of the novel to Manila in the 1890s, a few years before the mass revolt led by Andres Bonifacio against the Spanish regime.
The infamous characters of the novel, Marquise de Merteuil and Vicomte de Valmont, now have their Hispanic counterparts—Señora Margarita and Señor Vicente. Their status as peninsulares of the colony has somewhat given them a sense of entitlement to prey on people who belong in the lower ranks.
When Señora Margarita asks her former lover Señor Vicente to seduce the young and virginal Cecilia, he proposes to her another devious plan—he will make the deeply religious and recently married mestiza Señora Teresa fall in love with him. While waiting for his plan to come to fruition, Señora Margarita proceeds to corrupt the indio Daniel who is madly in love with Cecilia. This game of conquest will set in motion a series of tragic events that will challenge Margarita and Vicente’s position as the self-proclaimed—and rather depraved—patriots of their motherland.
Philippine theater icon and 2012 Asian Film Awards’ Best Supporting Actress Shamaine Centenera-Buencamino leads the stellar cast as she plays the iconic role of Señora Margarita. Shamaine is joined by Cinemalaya Best Supporting Actor Arnold Reyes as the seductively charming Señor Vicente, Cinemalaya Best Supporting Actress LJ Reyes as Señora Teresa and TV actor Vin Abrenica who will play the role of Daniel.
Juego de Peligro opens on Feb. 20 at the CCP Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino. Succeeding performances will be on Feb. 21-22, 27-28, and March 1 and 6-8 at 3 and 8 p.m.
For inquiries, call Tanghalang Pilipino at 8321125 loc. 1621. Tickets are also available at ticketworld.com.ph.
Photos by Ambassador Ed Manuel
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.