May 29, 2016
The Sleep Revolution by Arianna Huffington
How much sleep did you get last night? If you get less than the recommended minimum of seven hours per night, join the global bandwagon of the sleep deprived. That will be 60% of the British population, over 30% of the Germans, and two-thirds of the Japanese (data as of 2013-2014).
Thirteen months after publishing THRIVE (the book that introduced the importance of well-being as a third metric to success, beyond money and power), the author is back; this time to talk about the importance of getting enough sleep. THRIVE taught me that sleep deprivation is as bad as for performance as alcohol. Going to work without enough sleep is the equivalent of showing up drunk.
Sleep as a gateway to a more fulfilling way of living struck a powerful cord, and was key in ensuing THRIVE dialogues. So much so that it paved the way for the author’s latest book, THE SLEEP REVOLUTION.
From being sacred (prehistoric Egyptians and Greeks had “sleep temples” while ancient Chinese, Hindu and Islamic texts reference its powers), sleeping is now considered a waste of time, devalued and actively scorned. The Industrial Revolution brought artificial light and mechanization, ensuring that every hour spent sleeping was another hour spent not working. Consider how CEOs and politicians brag how little they sleep and the long hours they put in. In the 21st century, sleeping became a liability, a sign of weakness even.
I am not this book’s target audience because that will be preaching to the choir.
I’m a stickler for getting plenty of sleep and may have been the butt of derisive “lola” (grandmother) jokes as early as in my 20’s, long before Titas of Manila was in vogue. And just like Ms. Huffington, devices are banned from my bedroom. I avoid caffeine, use eye shades and ear plugs as needed, and keep the room dark. I also have clothes that are exclusively for sleeping and read physical books (not devices) to wind down.
Make no mistake, THE SLEEP REVOLUTION is much more than a laundry list of how-to’s. Deeply personal, sweeping and rigorously researched, the book is divided into two. The first half is entitled WAKE UP CALL, covering history and science (and indicting corporate America, pharmaceutical companies, universities, etc. in the process). Part two is called THE WAY FORWARD, where the best sleep advise can be found. The appendices (A to D) are a treasure trove of resources – to guided meditations, hotels, mattresses (!) and other useful bits for the reader who wants to get all the way into the program.
THE SLEEP REVOLUTION is available in both hard cover and paperback. On sale April 5, 2016.
Penguin Random House is the world’s first truly global trade book publisher. It was formed on July 1, 2013, upon the completion of an agreement between Bertelsmann and Pearson. Penguin Random House employs more than 10,000 people globally across almost 250 editorially and creatively independent imprints and publishing houses that collectively publish more than 15,000 new titles annually. Its publishing lists include more than 70 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.