October 6, 2013
Under the Care of Tyrants
You know you’re part
of his history alone, and it’s often more
than you bargained for, you in your
fake Nikes. May as well go to Seoul.
Have a vacation. Return only as a hero
to flashbulbs, before paying for the cart.
Your luggage a premium, always.
Only the great padrino may decide
to exempt anyone from age-old customs.
We learned our songs in much the same
way they did in Romania or Yugoslavia.
But our soil was as weak as tears for
escorting a despot to where the torn
lyrics of our days and nights bade deposit.
Better a nation of martyrs than shopkeepers.
Better one disaster after another, to polish
the hand of mercy.
For generations we heard
loudspeakers in plazas with a grandstand,
a dead man’s statue, a basketball court
to dry grains in the sun, for beauty in Maytime.
We can’t expect much but salt or sardine,
a time for prayer to lift us on bad days,
some television to keep us from darkness
of engagement. We are content with knobs,
dials. The children still play with kites,
on good days learn to wait for proper wind,
tug of heart.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.