April 25, 2015
Aspiring Writers & Illustrators
One of our first writing class was in partnership with Singapore’s Unique Classroom. The session was called Aspiring Writers and Illustrators Scheme. Children from the age of 5 to 10 years old wrote their own short story and even illustrated their own book cover in just one weekend.
Our featured young writer for this week, Andrei, loves to write about adventures and stories with moral lessons. For his short story, he shares the first of many adventures of his animal characters.
Sammy Snake and Tommy Tiger
Andrei, 10 years old
Sammy Snake and Tommy Tiger were friends since they were four years old. They went to the same school, Animal Academy. They were also in the same class, 4C – Jungle Animals. They also lived on the same street, Sunny Street. Although I have lots to say, I will just say that they were best friends.
Adventure 1 – Homework!
One day, Ms. Monkey gave out Math homework.
“Class, please answer page 36 of your book. Thank you!” she said.
Later, Sammy asked Tommy for help, “Tommy, what’s 9×9?”
“I don’t know. Let’s ask the Owl of Wisdom.”
So the two friends had to pass two challenges; the Pit of Bad Odour and the Sphinx.
“Wow, that’s gonna be hard!” Tommy said.
So they started their journey.
First, they passed the Pit of Bad Odour.
“Ewwww, it’s so stinky in here!” Tommy said.
“I agree,” Sammy said. “It’s like a sewer!”
So they covered their noses and passed the pit ease.
“Okay, one obstacle passed.” Sammy said.
“Good!” Tommy said.
“Hello, I’m the Sphinx. I’ll eat you if you cant solve my riddles.”
“Okay, give us a riddle.” the pair said.
“What can you serve but not eat?”
“A tennis ball.” Sammy answered.
“Okay, you may go.” The Sphinx said.
They were on the way to the Owl. They later managed to find him.
“What’s 9×9?” the duo asked.
“81.” the Owl said.
Yay, the friends solved the problem!
Where the Write Things Are will have two summer classes for kids and teens this May 2015:
a. The Wonder of Words: Stories, Graphic Lit, Poetry & more
- Date: May 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15 (MWF; 6 sessions)
- Time: 1pm-3pm (for 7-10 years old) / 3:30pm-5:30pm (for 11-17 years old)
- Venue: Fully Booked Bonifacio High Street Taguig
- Workshop Facilitator: Neni Sta. Romana Cruz & Roel Cruz
- Guest Authors: Mabi David & Dean Francis Alfar
b. Young Writers’ Hangout
- Date: May 23, May 30 and June 6 (Saturdays/per class basis)
- Time: 1pm-2:30pm (For 7-17 years old)
- Venue: Canadian American School Alphaland Makati; Fully Booked Bonifacio High Street (for June 6 class)
For registration and fee details contact 0917-6240196 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Write Things is a writing center for kids, teens and adults. If you love writing or need some inspiration to get to write, our writing hangout is the place to be. Check out facebook.com/writethingsph.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.