January 9, 2018
THE REAL FILIPINO OF THE YEAR: SOLDIERS OF MARAWI
Last year, day after day we read the news on how our soldiers would risk life and limb to free Marawi from the clutches of ISIS-linked terrorists. The fear of being blacklisted as a terrorist stronghold loomed on the horizon when that ISIS flag was raised. These soldiers, all 157 of them, died to keep us free from terrorists. Soldiers who left their families and fought for the love of their country.
What carries more weight? The cause of an anonymous blogger who was inconveniently outed due to bumbling, basic webmaster skills, whose fame hardly crossed over the borders of Facebook, or the young soldiers who sacrificed their lives so that peace and order may return to Marawi? Soldiers who, because of their selflessness, thousands of Marawi families have returned home, safe. What has far-reaching consequences – fighting online battles against fake news or fighting real battles with drug-crazed terrorists in the field, that has displaced a hundred thousand citizens?
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.