May 31, 2016
Professor-Treasurer-Activist for Education: Prof. Leonor Magtolis Briones Offered DepEd Post
Congratulations to Manila Speak founding columnist Professor Leonor Magtolis Briones for being offered the Secretary of the Department of Education post by President-Elect Rodrigo Duterte.She was former Secretary to the Commission on Audit, Vice-President for Finance of the University of the Philippines System, and Treasurer of the Philippines.
More on the offer here.
Leonor Magtolis Briones is currently a Professor Emeritus of the National College of Public Administration of the University of the Philippines.
Professor Briones has written a book, Public Fiscal Administration in the Philippines, which is considered a timeless classic and is a required textbook for courses in public administration. She has also written countless papers, articles and position papers on issues related to public finance–revenues , budgets, borrowing and accountability.
Prof. Briones is not only an academic. She is an activist as well. She is Lead Convenor of Social Watch Philippines which has been campaigning against lump sum appropriations since 2006. Social Watch Philippines coordinates the Alternative Budget Initiative which submits alternative budgets for social development. She Chairs the People’s Public Finance Institute which is supported by the United Nations Development Program. She is also Chair of the Board of Trustees of Silliman University.
Citizens frequently complain that they can’t understand government policies. Her column in Manila Speak explains government policies by telling stories of ordinary folk who are either affected, ignored or neglected by the very institutions sworn to protect them.
Read her column Folk Tales here.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.
One Comment on “Professor-Treasurer-Activist for Education: Prof. Leonor Magtolis Briones Offered DepEd Post”
test says July 5, 2016 at 2:34 pm
I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of space .
Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i am glad to exhibit that I
have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.
I such a lot unquestionably will make certain to don?t overlook this web site and
give it a look regularly.