November 30, 2018
POWER LUNCH WITH SHAI RESHEF, FOUNDER OF UNIVERSITY OF THE PEOPLE
I had the honor of having Power Lunch with esteemed education entrepreneur Mr. Shai Reshef.
Mr. Reshef is changing the landscape for colleges and universities worldwide through the use of the internet.
He founded the first non-profit, tuition-free university.
This means that you can get a bachelor’s degree – a full degree, not just a course or a master’s degree – online. From the comfort of your home. Or wherever you are. With your dog or your baby on your lap. While managing your own time. From any province in the world, including the Philippines, as long as you have internet.
Best of all, it is American accredited. This means that you would have graduated with a degree from a school in the United States. Even if the entire time you were studying from your sofa in Bulacan.
But it’s serious stuff. Mr. Reshef clarified during our lunch that even if you have the luxury of not leaving your home while studying, you will still need to meet the rigid standards of an American accredited university so the exams are hard.
There is also first an assessment process to see if you will qualify. Your English has to be proficient, for starters.
However, if you do pass the assessment process, the good news is that your degree would be truly affordable. As low as $4,000 for an entire degree. (College tuition in the US could go anywhere between $100,000 to $300,000 USD.)
Join our Power Lunch to learn more about University of the People:
More about University of the People:
- University of the People (UoPeople) is the world’s first non-profit, tuition-free, American accredited online university
- The university currently offers two-year associate and four-year bachelor’s degree programs in business administration, computer science, and health science as well as an MBA program.
- UoPeople has academic partnerships with University of California Berkeley, in which UoPeople associate degree holders are eligible to apply to complete their bachelor’s degree at Berkeley; New York University, to accept students on a generous scholarship; the University of Edinburgh, to accept eligible students for graduate study, and with Yale Law School ISP, for research. UoPeople is also affiliated with the UN, UNESCO and Ashoka, among others.
- UoPeople opened its gates in 2009, was accredited in February 2014, and has over 17,000 students enrolled from over 200 countries and territories.
- UoPeople is able to offer tuition-free education because of its reliance on technology, volunteers and Open Educational Resources. More than 6,000 professionals have volunteered for the university, filling key UoPeople leadership positions including University President, Provost, Academic Deans, Course Developers, Academic Advisers and Course Instructors from some of the top universities in the world.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.