Kapihan sa Manila Bay
Hosted by Marichu Villanueva, Columnist & Editor of the Philippine Star
Cafe Adriatico, Remedios Circle, Malate, Manila
August 24, 2016
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Sen. Grace Poe
Granting President Duterte Emergency Powers
* A higher resolution of the stream will be uploaded in 24 hours. *
This video will be broadcast live on our Youtube channel and website.
Got questions for the speakers? Send them through our social media accounts.
(Editor’s note: The starting time may change due to scheduling constraints.)
- Emergency powers should be FOI compliant. We can stipulate that even the local government [and private companies] must be FOI compliant.
- Fiscally responsible, specially based on industry standards. No hidden costs.
- Time bound – based on our constitution – 3 years only.
- There should be certain deliverables. Practical. Achievable. As long as the intention is not the cheat the public.
- Bottleneck will not be in the senate.
- On running for presidency: I have no regrets running.
- Barangay elections: SK Projects are “sobrang flash in the pan”. Maybe the SK can have programs to include ex-addicts or counselling for rehabilitation. There are 600,000 addicts-surrenderees but we only have 44 rehab centers.
- Let us strengthen and reform our judiciary. Perhaps once we do that, death penalty won’t be necessary.
- On LEDAC, was a missed opportunity in the past administration. LEDAC will be convened next month specifically to discuss emergency powers.
- Several senators refiled the FOI bill. There is a growing awareness now so now in the senate, they will be hardpressed to find somebody to go against the FOI bill.
- This FOI bill will institutionalize the EO. There will be criminal liability not just administrative. There will be budget capability for departments to make it happen [archiving, internet]. With the EO, each dept has its own exception. With the FOI Bill it will be general exceptions. If there are conflicts, what will prevail will be the actual law.
- I acknowledge the CHR and the PNP. Both of them have a role to play out. The PNP is a good communicator. It is important that the public understand what you’re doing. I had to remind him that power should be used to defend the defenseless.
- Part of disinformation right now is giving people information that people don’t need.
- Yes I have misgivings and not confident Sec Tugade’s decision on maintaining MRT Gen Manager Buanefe. We will ask it in the next hearing.
- On USEC Kintanar: We just have to be more vigilant to check if there are special treatments being given because of their connections. He has more to prove about his connection and background.
- In this administration, there is already a shoot to kill order if you fight back – so why should you [risk your life and] fight back?
- Internal Affairs Service: A civilian should head it. How can a subordinate have their superiors investigated? We need a civilian head now more than ever now that the organization is being cleaned up. As of yesterday Gen. Bato he already submitted list of suggested civilian heads to the president for the IAS.
- Diplomatic dicussions and executive that could jeopardize national security is not a part of the FOI. But there is a set time before disclosure.
- The FOI can not be used to cover up a wrong doing.