July 25, 2018
PGMA IS BACK IN POWER AS THE FIRST FEMALE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE
Last Monday, the “action” shifted from the people rallying in the streets to the Batasang Pambansa where the SONA was being held. 184 congressmen crossed party lines and voted former-President-now-Congresswoman Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as speaker. In a move that was reminiscent of how she got the presidency from then President Joseph “Erap” Estrada, the congressmen made a decision for a change of leadership just before Congress was about to convene a joint session to start President Duterte’s SONA.
Since Congresswoman Arroyo is strongly allied with the church, many feel that the same sex union bill, the divorce bill, and the death penalty bills will languish once more. Instead, Federalism may happen. The same issue she pushed for during her presidency may come true during her reign as speaker.
One can’t deny that she is a brilliant economist, shrewd strategist and seasoned politician.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.