November 27, 2018
NORTH AT SOUTH KOREA: INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON PEACE & PROSPERITY
I was invited to represent the Philippines during the International Convention on Peace & Prosperity held last Nov. 15, 2018, in Seoul, South Korea. The highlight of the gathering centered on the start of an amiable relationship between North and South Korea. I brought the Kasangga Team led by JR Langit and we, along with other Asian representatives, were able to tour around the Joint Security Area of the Demilitarized Zone or DMZ which was along the boundary of North and South Korea. This was after both countries have cleared the area of high powered armaments that have been placed there for decades.
The Korean Armistice Agreement is the armistice which brought about a an end to the hostilities of the Korean War back in 1953 but because it wasn’t a peace treaty, the war wasn’t considered as “ended”. The DMZ was then created. Former US President Bill Clinton nicknamed it as the “scariest place on earth”. Despite the fact that the issues regarding nuclear weapons haven’t been resolved yet, this DMZ is now a “weapons-free buffer zone”.
I was called upon on stage to witness the symbolic “Announcement of the Declaration of Peace” bet. North & South Korea.
In spite of its fearsome reputation, the DMZ has become a yearly tourist destination for millions of locals and foreigners alike.
This coming December 2018, North Korean President Kim Jong Un is expected to crossover the border and visit the south upon the invitation of the South Korean President Moon Jae-in. They hope that by next year, it will be the North Korean President’s turn to invite the South Korean President. Perhaps by that time, the Kasangga Team will be able to witness this event.
Visit of Asian delegates at a DMZ or Demilitarized Zone.
Our trip didn’t end with the visit to the DMZ. We were also invited to visit some of the OFWs in Seoul. We listened to their work problems and you can watch this on our segment, “Biyaheng Langit Sa Korea” every Friday, 10pm on PTV4.
During the 2018 International Convention for “Peace And Prosperity” in the Asia Pacific (Nov 16, 2018) Philippine delegate Rey Langit together with the North Korean official was called on stage by Chairman An busu of South Korea.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.