August 11, 2013
Two of those who died were minors―a 9-year old and a 14-year old. The blast that occurred on August 5, 4:15PM while school children were headed home is truly horrific.
Among those who were killed were the two motorcycle-riding security escorts of the city mayor’s sibling. Their names were Samsudin Jari and Yusoph Gadji.
The bomb was a strong kind that made use of a cellphone detonator. It killed 6 on-the-spot and 3 more at the hospital. Three suspects are now in the custody of the authorities.
An estimated 40 people were injured and sustained scars due to the bomb shrapnel. They were brought to the Cotabato Regional Hospital.
INTERVIEW OVER DWIZ
In my interview with Cotabato City Police Chief Superintendent Rolen Balquin, he expressed his belief that this incident has no connection to the US Terror Attack Advisory.
That may be the case but this tragedy was still clearly the work of terrorists.
The initial investigation revealed that the target was Cynthia Guiani-Sayadi, the City Administrator and sister of Cotabato City Mayor Japal Guiani, Jr.
Eight people, in the meantime, died in another explosion in Cagayan de Oro City. The blast occurred during an event attended by doctors and pharmaceutical sales representatives.
If you remember, this became the Bloody Entertainment Center.
A third blast occurred in Mindanao in a span of just 14 days.
The latest bombing that happened in the early morning of August 7 made use of a mortar bomb in Midsayap, North Cotabato in front of building that houses the Radyo WOW FM station. No one was reported to have been harmed. However, the citizens remain wary.
Following the US Terror Attack Advisory, US embassies in 19 locations temporarily stopped their services. These are the US embassies in the Muslim World.
The heightened Terror Alert in New York City and Washington D.C. was never scaled down since the Boston bombing in Massachusetts. This is the yellow (elevated) threat level.
Greater and stricter security measures are still being implemented in all local and international flights in the US. All their regional and inter-city passenger rail, subways, and metropolitan bus systems observe stricter security protocols.
The call for heightened vigilance remains unchanged.
OSAMA AFTER DEATH
Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind of the 9/11 terror attack, may have already been killed but his network of Al Queda cronies still lives on to spread terror in the world.
The terror threat has yet to be eradicated!
Clearly, we still have a long way to go in the path to achieving world peace. Terrorism in this day and age seems to already have become part and parcel of everyday living.
This legacy of constant threat to our lives is the worst thing we can pass on to our children and the generations to come.
Photo credit: securitymatters.com.ph
Photos used under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.