March 13, 2018
CJ SERENO STANDING FIRM AGAINST CALLS FOR RESIGNATION
“I will not resign.”
That’s what Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno said when the en banc told her to go on indefinite leave last February. She repeated the same statement again and again in public forums. Just recently she stood her ground once more when the judges, officials and employees of the judiciary called for her resignation in a public display of protest.
Some legal experts claim that the Supreme Court has the final say and what rules apply if the Chief Justice will be removed through their decision or via impeachment.
One thing’s for sure, Chief Justice Renato Corona’s impeachment looms over this situation. The fact that non-filing or misdeclaring assets in one’s Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALN) became a solid ground for impeaching a Chief Justice. The fact that all government workers in the Philippines, whether regular or temporary, must submit the document that make up their net worth. Something that CJ Sereno failed to do for a few years.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.