August 13, 2015
Bacon and Egg Salad Sandwich Spread
Bacon and eggs are a classic breakfast meal. Though Filipinos often have it with rice, sometimes having it with bread is a requirement, especially if you need to eat while on the road. This is a sandwich spread you can prepare to so you can have your bacon and eggs in the morning without having to use a spoon and fork.
Although the recipe is long, it actually is easy, as both the eggs and bacon can be prepared a few days in advance. You can also make it the night before to serve at breakfast time.
For every person eating a sandwich, use:
2 strips of bacon
Seasonings are adjusted to taste, see procedure for more instructions:
1 tablespoon rendered bacon fat, reserved during cooking
mayonnaise to taste, start with 1 teaspoon
salt to taste, start with 1 pinch
Frying the Bacon
- Cut bacon into pieces ⅛”long.
- Prepare a draining plate for the bacon by lining it with paper towels. Set near cooking area.
- Get a frying pan and place over low heat. Add cooking oil. Add bacon. Stir and toss bacon to ensure even frying. Cook bacon until it is medium brown and crispy. Remove from heat. Using a pair of tongs, remove bacon from frying pan and place on prepared plate lined with paper towels. Set aside to drain.
- Get 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the frying pan and set it aside.
- Bacon and rendered bacon fat can be prepared ahead of time. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. Make sure the rendered bacon fat has been cooled before placing in the refrigerator.
Boiling the Eggs
- Get a medium sauce pot and add cold water until you have about 1”of water in the pan.
- Add baking soda and stir to dissolve.
- Add eggs. Make sure there is enough space in the bottom. The eggs should all touch the bottom of the pan and have enough space to move a little. Overcrowding the pot will lead to broken eggs and uneven cooking.
- Add more cold water until it is 2”over the top of the egg. You can use your fingers to measure the water level. One knuckle-length is about 1”.
- Place sauce pot over medium heat. Allow water to come to a boil. When water is boiling, bring heat down to low setting.
- Allow eggs to simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove pot from heat. Cover pot and allow to sit for 12 minutes.
- While allowing the eggs to sit, prepare an ice bath. Get a bowl and fill with ice and water. Set near the pot with eggs.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from hot water and transfer to ice bath. This will stop the eggs from overcooking.
- Allow eggs to cool.
- Remove eggs from ice bath.
- Eggs can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Although an egg has a refrigerator shelf life of 5 days, you want a few days extra to keep the bacon and egg salad in the refrigerator.
- If you stored the bacon fat in the refrigerator, you will need to heat it a bit until it is a liquid again. You can heat it in a frying pan. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Peel eggs and roughly chop. Place chopped eggs in a bowl.
- If you wish the bacon to be smaller, roughly chop until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add bacon to chopped eggs.
- Add rendered bacon fat, mayonnaise, and salt. Mix well.
- Taste the mixture, if the mixture is too loose, add 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, and mix well. Repeat this step until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Taste. If needed, add 1 pinch salt, then mix well. Repeat until you have reached your desired level of salt.
- Spread on your favorite bread and serve. You can also toast the sandwich before serving.
- If there is any leftover, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep for 1-2 days.
Photo/s used in this post is/are covered under the Fair Use Exemption of the IP Code.
- You acknowledge that Manila Speak is only a platform for your views and opinions and those views and opinions of yours are not necessarily that of Manila Speak.
- The comments section is a public forum and you will be considerate and respectful at all times.
- You shall not post any defamatory utterances, profanity or vulgar language, anything that is obscene or abusive. You shall not post any false statements, harassing words or threaten a person’s safety or property.
- You shall not, without consent, post any personal information such as but not limited to phone numbers and email or mailing addresses.
- You shall not violate other’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Manila Speak may or may not review your post but it reserves the right to remove that same if such post may potentially violate the guidelines.
- All Rights Reserved. No portion of this site may be republished without permission of the publisher.